Pages

How to Make Any-Sized Envelope the Easy Way

There are times I have become so busy with a paper crafting project that it grew and grew and before I knew it I didn't have an envelope the correct size.  Problem Solved !!!!


 
 
Measuring diagonally across your card find how long it is in that direction.  Then add one inch more and cut out your paper that size.
 
 
 
 
With the card lying in the center of the cut paper, fold in the sides, bottom and top. 
 
Unfold.
 
 
 
 
Trim away the four tiny triangles created by the folds. (See the little notches cut out next to each of the big triangles. Those were the little triangles I removed.)
 
 
 
 
Turn the paper over.  For extra durability, run strong adhesive (like tacky tape) as shown in the picture above.
 
 


Turn your paper back over.  Fold in the sides first and then secure the bottom flap to the sides.


Note: Extra thick paper projects, like the napkin fold, may fit more easily if you add an extra 1/2".  That's what I did and liked the results.


To give a finished look, consider using the corner rounder on the top flap before securing the envelope.


I am so excited to have found this envelope recipe.  Now everything I make will finally fit in an envelope. 


Thanks for stopping by!  Sending Smiles, ;-) Joanie

23 comments:

Jane O'Leary said...

You make everything look so professional and your directions are always so easy to follow. Than you this is a great tutorial.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Jane. You've shared another great post! :-) _Brenda

Baroque duJour said...

Great tutorial, thank you so much, this is brilliant. Christmas Greetings from Ireland.

Unknown said...

This looks so simple I can't wait to try it. Thank you.

Unknown said...

Joanie, Love the envelope recipe, thank you. But I also love the card...
do you have instructions on how to make such an interesting card???
Linda

Glenys said...

From one Morton to another Morton - Thank You, this recipe is so simple and easy.

Anonymous said...

Absolutely marvellous. Great help. Christina

Anonymous said...

Great tutorial. Like the idea of being able to make pretty envelopes, custom made.

Unknown said...

Great! But what if the card is rectangular?

Anonymous said...

I was wondering the same thing.

Anonymous said...

It works the same way! I just tried it on an A2 card and was pleasantly surprised.

kell10 said...

Great tute. What paper are you using -looks like cardstock?

Unknown said...

Thank you! All the dimensions I found for making an A2 card did not work. This did.

Olive o0 said...

This is great, many thanks for sharing no more hunting around for an envelope

Diane Ziomek said...

I can never find an envelope in the size I need. Thank you so much for this easy peasy tutorial. I’m saving this for future reference. 😀

Unknown said...

Ty so much. I have been searching for a way to do this.

Unknown said...

The best idea for making an envelope I have ever seen. Thank you so much!

Lynn said...

Hi,

It is a great way to make an envelope but after several tries I find that I am having trouble getting the card in the exact center. It matters because the points need to be centered on the envelope to look nice. I know I could use a ruler and go by measurements but that is time intensive for me. Do you have an easy way to center the card?
I would love to know any tips you have that may make it easier.
Best wishes,
Lynn

Kristy said...

Thanks so much for this easy, well-explained tutorial. My envelope was crooked because of me and not bad instructions. lol :)

Marevan said...

Thanks very much for this very usueful tutorial.

Trish said...

This is the best tutorial I’ve seen for making envelopes!
Thank you!

Anonymous said...

I used single sided printed scrapbook paper and it worked great!

Anonymous said...

Thank you thank you! I made a square card and was struggling to find the perfect size envelope. Voila! I found your post. I will be using this a lot. So grateful ❤️